Social and environmental commitment
Commitment to our society is important for us as a traditional company and is an integral part of our corporate culture. That is why we actively embody our company values and share them with others. In addition, we are actively involved in the social and societal issues. Assuming social responsibility and educating the younger generation is particularly important to us. For this reason, we collaborate with universities, workshops for the disabled and we support national and international projects with targeted donations. We are proud that we are not only committed as the company HAHN+KOLB, but also that our employees back this one hundred percent and support the various charitable actions with their contributions.
- We supported the Burkina Faso e.V. group of sponsors with donations in kind.
- We work hand-in-hand with people with disabilities and employ them in our company.
- We donated tools to support a training workshop at a refugee centre in Stuttgart.
- We make regular donations in-kind and of cash to support the HELFERHERZ campaign by the Ludwigsburg district newspaper.
- We supported the Windhoek Waldorf school with the proceeds from a charity golf tournament.
- We are supported the Karlshöhe centre for people with disabilities and the animal shelter in Ludwigsburg with cash donations from our Christmas party.
- We are supporting the Ludwigsburger Tafel e.V. with cash donations.
- Employees have taken part in a DKMS fundraising campaign.
- We have supported the "HAPPY BOX" welcome campaign for refugees with donations in-kind from employees.
Environmental commitment at HAHN+KOLB
HAHN+KOLB Werkzeuge GmbH is committed to sustainable management that is ecologically and socially responsible. We feel we owe a duty to the health of people, society and the environment to continuously improve company and cross-company environmental protection. Our commitment to the environment is therefore divided into three areas:
- Certification in accordance with DIN EN ISO 14001: 2015
- Resource-saving energy supply and state-of-the-art building technology
- Renaturalisation of the company premises
We are meeting this obligation by using our certification to the international environmental management standard DIN EN ISO 14001, which defines internationally recognised requirements for an environmental management system. The overall objective is to promote environmental protection and to reduce environmental impact – in accordance with economic, social and political requirements. Certification to DIN EN ISO 14001 therefore contributes to continuous improvement of environmental performance under consideration of different business divisions, ensures all applicable environmental legislation is met, involves employees in environmental issues and supports HAHN+KOLB’s communication with the public.
To ensure our environmental performance is improved in the future, relevant topics have been defined and specified that have a significant and immediate impact on the environment. These topics form the foundation for the work done by HAHN+KOLB in terms of environmental management. By planning and implementing future environmental measures, we are not only taking into account the binding obligations of DIN EN ISO 14001, but are also committed to go beyond them. So, we consider aspects like our ecological infrastructure, our energy efficiency, our resource consumption and our procurement processes from perspectives that are environmentally relevant.
Resource-saving energy supply and state-of-the-art building technology
When we constructed our new company building, we paid particular attention to creating a modern, sustainable design, which enables a resource-saving energy supply. As a result, our energy concept covers more than 70 percent of our energy needs. The photovoltaic elements on the south side of our company headquarters ensure sustainable electricity production of over 88,000 kilowatt hours a year. CO2-neutral energy production means we contribute to energy generation that is both long-term and sustainable.
The 90-metre-deep geothermal wells also support innovative heating and air conditioning technology. By using geothermal energy from the geothermal wells, we can cover over 75 percent of our annual heating energy requirements and cool our building during the warm months. This concrete core temperature control ensures a natural and pleasant indoor climate year-round and requires almost no energy, because the water in the circulating pipes is cooled down underground.
The roofs of our headquarters also contribute to an ecological balance because they have been planted with native plants. The greenery systems on the roofs cover over 1400 square metres and play an important part in a modern waste management system. The uncontaminated roof and surface water is collected in our retention basins sealed with clay and mineral rock. This means that excess water seeps slowly into the ground, especially during heavy rainfall, helping to avoid flooding.